The Pacific Islands of Non-Government Organization (PIANGO) is the regional network of national umbrella NGOs. It has national focal points and coordinating bodies known as National Liaison Units (NLUs) in 24 countries and territories throughout the Pacific. PIANGO has served the Pacific through strengthening and building the capacity of the civil society sector for over 25 years.
PIANGO was formally established in 1991 to assist Pacific NGOs to initiate collective action, give voice to their concerns and work collaboratively with other development actors for just and sustainable development. PIANGO gives voice to NLUs and Pacific CSOs through representation to regional and international fora, engage in policy advocacy and policy formulation, facilitate leadership development for the civil society sector and provide technical support on organisational development and institutional strengthening.
The key theme for PIANGO is Rethinking Development, Reshaping the Pacific we Want, in addressing our identity and solidarity as Pacific peoples, strengthening our collective resolve to challenge prevailing development paradigms that erode the basis of our existence and to reshape the Pacific we want.
The 2016 PIANGO Council elected a new Board of Directors and adopted new strategic directions for 2017-2020 with the following priority focus areas:
- Strengthening CSO Platform in the Pacific
- Development Effectiveness
- Action Research and Policy Advocacy
- Pacific Developmental Leadership
- CSO Capacity Strengthening
As part of its re-organisation, PIANGO is looking to hire suitably qualified and dynamic individuals to fill the following positions:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Revise, update and implement PIANGO’s Regional Communication Strategy;
- Production of PIANGO press releases, regular news bulletins, email or web-based updates, and publications including flyers, posters, and/or booklets and coordinating publication schedule to ensure dissemination of information to networks and partners;
- Develop and implement strategies to enhance PIANGO’s corporate image and public profile, communicating accurate messages that portray PIANGO positively and in good light which may include organising events to enhance the visibility of PIANGO;
- Coordinate the preparation and publication of the PIANGO’s Annual Report including audited financial statements;
- Establish and coordinate a network of NLU & CSO Communications and ICT Officers Network and co-develop and co-facilitate Communications and ICT training to NLUs and partners;
- Develop and manage data bases, email Lists and Subscriptions;
- Maintain and promote relevant information technology for communication, such as user- friendly and interactive website, that will (i) assist PIANGO’s communication around its core strategies and (ii) also support NLUs in their use of relevant information technology;
- Monitor and update website information and images and manage social media pages and ensure regular posting of appropriate articles to the PIANGO News and websites.
- Coordinate Online Forum and identify and support forum moderators for specific interest groups (such as gender, youth, climate change, Pacific Plan, deep sea mining);
- Conduct research on the perceptions and attitudes of target audience to develop effective communication programs, analyse the political, economic and social trends before making the appropriate recommendations from the findings. Part of the research may involve the collation and analysis of media coverage of PIANGO. Collect, research and prepare communication materials for external and internal audiences.
Qualification, experience and competencies
- Preferably a Bachelor’s degree with knowledge and experience in communication, monitoring and evaluation, development advocacy & analysis
- Proven 5 years or more of successful achievements in the social sciences or development sector with 5 years of experience
- Capable of designing the different log frames and reporting frameworks
- Understands and can promote the PIANGO values and approaches to development with a commitment to the people of the Pacific Islands
- Proven strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong communication and presentation skills and outstanding writing skills
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- A covering letter that addresses your knowledge, experience and ability to undertake the role
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Name and contact of 3 Character References
Applications must be received no later than 4pm on Friday 31st March 2017 addressed to
The Executive Director
Pacific Islands Association of Non-Governmental Organizations
P O Box 17780
Electronic applications are accepted and to be sent to email@example.com