TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Kiribati Association of Non-Governmental Organisation (KANGO) is a national umbrella platform for 300 Community Based Organisations (CBOs) or Member Organisations (MOs) in Kiribati. KANGO exists to improve the human and social developments for the betterment of communities’ livelihoods in Kiribati by fostering cooperation, collaboration, networking and partnerships within KANGO members and external partners. One of the key areas of work for KANGO focuses on improving internal and external partnerships by enhancing CSO’s voice, engagement and participation in national, regional and global platforms for policy processes and development. In that regard, amplifying CSO voices at various policy platforms would require KANGO and its members to ground their work on evidence-based policy advocacy approaches.
In lieu of its role in amplifying CSO voices, KANGO in partnership with the Pacific Islands Association of Non-Governmental Organisation (PIANGO) secured a four-year project that was funded by the Commonwealth Foundation in 2018. The Kiribati Voices 4 Dignity and Resilience (KV4DR) project seeks to ensure that I-Kiribati communities are safeguarded from climate induced displacement ensuring their safety, security and dignity in adaptation and long-term resilience, whereby the intended outcomes include;
- National Policy on climate resilience reflects the voices, concerns and priorities of the i-Kiribati community on relocation.
- Strengthened CSO engagement with the Government of Kiribati; and across CSO platform and sectors in Kiribati.
- Perspectives of and learnings from i-Kiribati communities are shared widely at the regional level to inform work on climate resilience.
The project is couched on the three pillars of peace, prosperity and wellbeing/health and is aligned to the current government’s position on building resilience to adapt to climate change and its impacts. In light of the partnership between PIANGO and KANGO, PIANGO is managing the project on behalf of KANGO who are the implementers on the ground.
PIANGO seeks to recruit a Short-Term Consultant to develop a Policy Advocacy Training Manual on climate resilience for community based organisations. The content must be equivalent to three days of face-to-face training on climate resilience policy advocacy but can be adapted for general policy advocacy purposes on other issues. The training manual will also include modules on human rights related to climate induced displacement and how to write policy briefs. .
Description of Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of PIANGO and in close collaboration with KANGO, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Develop the contents for a draft Basic Policy Advocacy Training Manual that includes but not limited to the following key components;
- provide core components of policy advocacy
- outline stages of policy development
- illustrate steps of writing policy briefs
- explore through and identify more knowledge on the subject while keeping proper reference of all the materials cited to develop the manual. Plagiarism is not allowed.
- Sharing the contents of the draft Basic Policy Advocacy Training manual for approval by PIANGO and KANGO for final review/feedback whereby;
- After the approval of the contents, the consultant will develop the manual accordingly.
- The developed manual draft will be shared with PIANGO and KANGO for final review and approval before it is printed..
- Facilitate a Training of Trainers session with our KANGO colleagues.
- Facilitate a 3 day session to train KANGO Trainers on running Policy advocacy workshops in Kiribati using the developed manual.
- Provide a brief report on the Training of Trainers session.
Based on the agreed outputs, the Consultant will work with PIANGO
- To develop the contents of the draft Basic Policy Advocacy Training Manual on climate resilience
- Clearly articulate how the Training Manual can be used to inform the work on the KV4DR project.
- After the draft text is reviewed by PIANGO/KANGO, the consultant will incorporate revisions related to content, design and/or language;
- Work closely with the designer through PIANGO to develop ideas for graphics to convey key messages/data in the manual and ongoing review and proof read of texts.
A 10 – 12 pages advocacy training manual with elaborate source of information, relevant examples and well-training referenced.
Expected time (days)
Developing of basic Policy Advocacy Training Manual
40 on signing agreement
Reviewing of draft Training Manual & Finalisation
Training of Trainers
Bachelor’s Degree with at least five (5) years’ experience. Post Graduate Diploma in Public Policy or Climate Change is also preferable.
- Experience in developing policy advocacy training materials.
- Ability to write the training manual in a simplified manner that could be understood by community based organisations.Strong research and excellent writing skills in English;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Experience in producing corporate products;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to be flexible and respond to changes to text/layout as part of the review and feedback process;
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and work with diverse people;
- Participate effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Focus on impact and results for the client.
Timeframe and Fees:
The consultant will work for 11 working days which will spread out from 15 November 2021 to the 30th November 2021. Fees will be paid according to the table under deliverables.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS (INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED):
The Short-term Consultancy will be a close recruiting process on recommendation from PIANGO and KANGO. However, the following information will be required to be submitted to PIANGO to meet due diligent process and selection; should nominated Candidates be more than one. Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to the appropriate emails provided below, to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Proposal explaining why they are the most suitable for the work, drawing on their knowledge and previous experience.
- Personal CV and at least 3 references.
- Financial proposal specifying the fees per deliverable. All costs envisaged to complete the consultancy must be included in the financial proposal as a separate line. Please send all documents to email@example.com