VACANCY 06/03/2017 PROJECT OFFICER (ICSW 2017)
Date: 17th March 2017
The Pacific Islands of Non-Government Organization (PIANGO) is the regional network of national umbrella NGOs. It has national focal points and coordinating bodies known as National Liaison Units (NLUs) in 24 countries and territories throughout the Pacific. PIANGO has served the Pacific through strengthening and building the capacity of the civil society sector for over 25 years.
PIANGO was formally established in 1991 to assist Pacific NGOs to initiate collective action, give voice to their concerns and work collaboratively with other development actors for just and sustainable development. PIANGO gives voice to NLUs and Pacific CSOs through representation to regional and international fora, engage in policy advocacy and policy formulation, facilitate leadership development for the civil society sector and provide technical support on organisational development and institutional strengthening.
The key theme for PIANGO is Rethinking Development, Reshaping the Pacific we Want, in addressing our identity and solidarity as Pacific peoples, strengthening our collective resolve to challenge prevailing development paradigms that erode the basis of our existence and to reshape the Pacific we want.
The 2016 PIANGO Council elected a new Board of Directors and adopted new strategic directions for 2017-2020 with the following priority focus areas:
- Strengthening CSO Platform in the Pacific
- Development Effectiveness
- Action Research and Policy Advocacy
- Pacific Developmental Leadership
- CSO Capacity Strengthening
As part of its re-organisation, PIANGO is looking to hire suitably qualified and dynamic individuals to fill the following positions:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement PIANGO’s responsibilities as the local convenor and serve as the focal point for local preparation, hosting and delivery of the International Civil Society Week on 4-9th December, 2017 (ICSW 2017);
- Assist in securing core funds and in-kind donations to ensure the success of ICSW 2017;
- Contribute to and implement fundraising strategies and actively approach relevant potential event partners, donors and sponsors;
- Develop a clear concept note to articulate the benefits for partners, donors and sponsors of support to ICSW 2017 in Fiji;
- Ensure reporting is done in a timely and professional manner, following the different formats and monitoring and evaluation requirements the different partners, donors and sponsors need;
- Prepare and manage budgets and finances in consultation with and for sign-off by the Executive Director;
- Assist in the selection of service providers, manage and take responsibility for contracts with the venues, and other service providers;
- Manage relations with delegates ensuring suitable accommodation options, catering and other practical arrangements are fully provided for;
- Manage visa and other legal/ technical arrangements for delegates;
- Lead in liaising with the local police, immigration, local authorities and community in general in facilitating delegates’ security, visa, and any relevant aspects arising from ICSW being hosted in Suva, Fiji;
- Identify, orientate and coordinate volunteers.
- Organise the social and cultural elements of ICSW 2017, such as an opening ceremony, a cultural tour of the city and other cultural activities – in consultation with CIVICUS.
- Lead national and regional ICSW outreach and on development of communications materials with CIVICUS team, and assist CIVICUS with the website hosting, development and content management.
- Actively promote ICSW through all PIANGO publicity means and networks.
Qualification, experience and competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in the social sciences with over 3 successful years as an advocate of CSOs or related experience
- Demonstrated successful organisation of regional or international meetings/events
- Understands and can promote the PIANGO values and approaches to development with a commitment to the people of the Pacific Islands
- Proven work planning experience
- Demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- A covering letter that addresses your knowledge, experience and ability to undertake the role
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Name and contact of 3 Character References
Applications must be received no later than 4pm on Friday 31st March 2017 addressed to
The Executive Director
Pacific Islands Association of Non-Governmental Organizations
P O Box 17780
Electronic applications are accepted and to be sent to email@example.com