The Pacific Islands of Non-Government Organization (PIANGO) is the regional network of national umbrella NGOs. It has national focal points and coordinating bodies known as National Liaison Units (NLUs) in 24 countries and territories throughout the Pacific. PIANGO has served the Pacific through strengthening and building the capacity of the civil society sector for over 25 years.
PIANGO was formally established in 1991 to assist Pacific NGOs to initiate collective action, give voice to their concerns and work collaboratively with other development actors for just and sustainable development. PIANGO gives voice to NLUs and Pacific CSOs through representation to regional and international fora, engage in policy advocacy and policy formulation, facilitate leadership development for the civil society sector and provide technical support on organisational development and institutional strengthening.
The key theme for PIANGO is Rethinking Development, Reshaping the Pacific we Want, in addressing our identity and solidarity as Pacific peoples, strengthening our collective resolve to challenge prevailing development paradigms that erode the basis of our existence and to reshape the Pacific we want.
The 2016 PIANGO Council elected a new Board of Directors and adopted new strategic directions for 2017-2020 with the following priority focus areas:
- Strengthening CSO Platform in the Pacific
- Development Effectiveness
- Action Research and Policy Advocacy
- Pacific Developmental Leadership
- CSO Capacity Strengthening
As part of its re-organisation, PIANGO is looking to hire suitably qualified and dynamic individuals to fill the following positions:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and carry out programme and project activities related to PIANGO’s approved strategic plan priorities related to the 5 areas of focus.
- Lead the development and implementation of the PIANGO Code of Minimum Standards to be rolled out in PIANGO member countries;
- Conduct mapping and capacity building assessment of NLUs and implement capacity building training and support activities;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with PIANGO key stakeholders, with a particular focus on the National Liaison Units
- Coordinate programme activities related to the CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness project and the International Forum for National Platforms and ensure that NLUs benefit directly from these activities;
- Contribute to the planning and successful organisation of the 2017 International Civil Society Week.
- Coordinate CPDE regional advocacy within the joint project, to ensure effective and coordinated advocacy work, information exchange and policy analysis across the countries prioritised and to ensure all organisations participating in CPDE within the Pacific region are able to fully participate in the CPDE and other related global networks and campaigns.
- Responsible for outreach and communication within the region specifically with NLUs and PIANGO partners and stakeholders on PIANGO programme activities, facilitating inter-regional exchange;
- Organise meetings, events, conference calls, developing collective content positions and supporting collective advocacy work towards the relevant regional target;
- Monitor the discussion on Agenda 2030, Pacific 2030, Framework for Pacific regionalism, and provide information to NLUs and Partners on progress at the regional level;
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of funding proposals as required;
- Represent and advocate on behalf of PIANGO at relevant international forums and meetings as directed by the Programme Manager;
- Prepare monthly and periodic reports as required for the Management Team, the PIANGO Board and Funding Donors;
Qualification, experience and competencies
- Post Graduate qualification in Not for Profit Management with 2 years of successful program management experience or a relevant Bachelor’s degree with more than 5 years of relevant experience including in a regional or national CSO;
- Demonstrated successful programme and policy advocacy at national but preferable taking an active role in regional and global settings
- Understands and can promote the PIANGO values and approaches to development with a commitment and passion to serve the people of the Pacific Islands
- Proven programme planning experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication and presentation skills
Interested persons may seek job specifications from the Executive Director of PIANGO on email email@example.com or visit our web site www.piango.org
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- A covering letter that addresses your knowledge, experience and ability to undertake the role
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Name and contact of 3 Character References
Applications must be received no later than 4pm on Friday 31st March 2017 addressed to
The Executive Director
Pacific Islands Association of Non-Governmental Organizations
P O Box 17780
Electronic applications are accepted and to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org